¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups chopped fresh rhubarb
1 ½ cups regular rolled oats
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk or lemon juice
1 liquid red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add rhubarb; toss to combine. Stir flour mixture and oats into butter mixture.
- Drop ¼- cup mounds of dough 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets; press lightly with fingers
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes (rotate pan from front to back after 10 minutes) or until edges brown. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and milk; stir until smooth. If desired, add food coloring for a faint pink color. Spread icing on cooled cookies.