A light and fluffy summertime dessert, these cupcakes make a delicious end to any meal.
Total time: 1 h 25 m
Yield: 36 cupcakes
- 1 cup (8 oz.) salted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (12 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zestt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat 1 cup of butter until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition just until combined.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Prepare three 12-cup standard-size muffin pans; spoon 1/4 cup batter into each baking cup.
- Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 20-23 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks and let cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the cream in a chilled bowl on low until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, a little at a time, beating after each addition. Increase mixer speed to high, and beat until the icing forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes. Spread on the cooled cupcakes. Refrigerate any leftovers.